Biolan 550 L - Commercial Hot Compost Bin
Price: £1,461 inc. VAT | €1,660 inc. VAT
The Biolan 550 Litre hot composting bin is suitable for commercial loading. This compost bin is suitable for schools, housing corporations, restaurants, pubs and hotels. The commercial compost bin is heavily insulated to enable hot composting right though the winter, even in Finland where it is made. It has a patented adjustable air intake system that allows the user to control the temperature of the compost within and also to draw air up through the compost pile.
Biolan 550 Litre Compost Bin Summary
- Commercial size compost bin
- 80Kg waste / week input
- Accepts any biodegradable waste (including meat and pet waste)
- Pest and rodent resistant
- Insulated (5cm) to ensure thermophilic composting though 12 months
- Adjustable air inlet (5 settings) and outlet (2 settings) design
- Thermometer display
- Seep liquid is can either be contained, or discharged to ground
- Durable, made from a single mold
- Weight 55 kgs (empty), 450 kgs (full)
- Guarantee 5 years
- Suitable for 10-15 households
Using the Biolan Commercial Compost Bin
- If you use biodegradable bags, empty the compost and put a bag of compost separately.
- Always cover the waste with some compost bedding.About 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of the waste. If the waste is wet use more bedding.
- Small frequent amounts are better than a large amount once a week. Try to add waste to the compost bin several times a week. This is important especially in the cold season.
- Monitor the composter’s temperature and air supply for best results. When the compost temperature is much higher than the outside temperature, open the inlet air valve knob to the right (100 position) to allow more air in. If compost is cooling close off the air intake until temperature is stabilised.
|Volume||550 liters of|
|Height||120 cm , 190 cm with the lid open|
|Base dims||88 x 74 cm|
|Maximum dimensions||115 x 115 cm (width x length )|
|Working height||102 cm|
|The empty weight of the composter||54 kg|
|The full weight of the composter||250 – 400 kg|
|Weight of the cover||6 kg|
|Material||Frost-resistant, UV – protected polyethylene|
|The insulation material||Polyurethane|
|Air inlet||Adjustable, patented|
|Colour||Green or Grey|
Commercial Composting Bin Site Selection
Place the Biolan 550 commercial compost bin in a place where waste can be easily added throughout the year. Ensure that the position is not going to be in standing water during periods of high rainfall. Place the compost bin on a flat piece of ground or tilted slightly backwards by lifting the front edge a bit.
Put about 40 liters of Biolan compost bedding on the floor of the compost bin. Turn the inlet air valve knob to the left. When starting to compost use the recommended amount of compost bedding each time you add new material. Over time you will be able to use less.
The composting process starts when the waste is at the level of the upper air inlet. Composting activity will generate heat so that the internal temperature is higher than the external temperature. The regular addition of new material will maintain the activity and therefore the high temperature. The compost bin is insulated to ensure the microbial activity is retained. The compost bin’s temperature will vary from 10 – 70°C. A very common temperature gauge is 30 – 40°C. Please note the location of the thermometer at the upper air pipe indicates an indicative stage of composting and the hot phase temperatures. The hottest area is the center of the compost, which the thermometer can not reach. High temperature tells the lively microbial activity and therefore breakdown. The lower the temperature, the slower the composting taking place. A well-functioning waste composter will break down, with the exception of citrus fruit or egg shells, which may be further degraded in 5-8 weeks.